Studio Manager at Sarabande
Sarabande is a charity established by the late Lee Alexander McQueen to support creative talent across all disciplines in their early stages of creative and commercial development. It does this through the provision of scholarships, heavily subsidised artist studios, mentoring and a pioneering public events and education programme.
This is an exciting time to be associated with us. Sarabande is currently planning to expand its studio operations and to bring its unique multidisciplinary approach to art, fashion, craft and future technologies into a new London location in Tottenham N17 to add to its existing home in Haggerston, N1. At the same time, we are looking for a responsible self motivated Studio Manager. This will be a key role, facilitating all of our services and support activities, working closely with the CEO, the trustees and advisors.
The role will combine operations and support management with a high level of involvement with our artist community and all our creative initiatives, at both our N1 and N17 locations.
The expansion into a new creative quarter in Tottenham will double the number of artist studios, introduce the Sarabande organisation into a new locality, and build relationships with new artists, stakeholders and partners. This aspect of the role will accordingly involve working with the CEO and architects on the new building, liaising with the landlord and developers, overseeing office and studio planning, and marketing the studios to a new cohort of creatives.
Reporting to the CEO, and working closely with the N1 team on all global Sarabande activities, the role will initially be based in N1, and then predominately in N17 once that location is opened.
Detailed responsibilities will include:
The role requires extensive and effective operational skills.
- You will manage and negotiate contracts with suppliers and contractors, and maintain a clean and presentable environment for the office, studio complex and event space at all times
- You will be responsible for the management of the Sarabande CRM database, maintaining contacts for all stakeholders, artists and patrons
- And you will manage the day to day operations of a small but busy office, with a team comprising both salaried staff and interns.
- Shortlist studio applicants, schedule and manage interviews to be held with the Sarabande team
- Write offer letters and negotiate start dates
- Update each year the rent agreements, key forms, tenancy agreements and operating guidelines
- Host speakers for internal events, and arrange occasional tours of the studios
- Create, cultivate and maintain relationships with potential supporters and stakeholders
- Write proposals for corporate partnerships or sponsorship in line with Sarabande’s ambitions.
- Manage relationships with N17 partners, advocate for Sarabande and ensure our values, criteria and ethos are being met
- Support artists during commercial projects
- You would be the first point of contact for all Tottenham alumni
- Support on exhibitions or development work where requested
- Manage inter-artist studio relationships when needed
- Assist with managing event production, offsite or onsite
- Share project management for fundraising events and other sources of income, including advertising and sales of merchandise.
The individual needs to be entrepreneurial and creatively minded with exceptional organisation skills and the ability to see both short- and long-term goals. Skills in people management and communications are essential together with a resilient can-do attitude. This is a senior role in a forward-thinking and quick moving organisation; the successful applicant will engage and manage projects with top-level partners across the world and will share responsibility for the exceptional delivery of all projects, partnerships and events.
Some evening and weekend work will be required, usually during events.
To apply, please email a one-page cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.